[Dovecot] Rebuilding indexes fails on inconsistent mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 29 17:31:42 EET 2012

On 24.10.2012, at 14.28, Milan Holzäpfel wrote:

> Oct 24 10:43:23 two dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<...>, method=PLAIN, rip=..., lip=..., mpid=4977, TLS
> Oct 24 10:43:23 two dovecot: imap(listen at mjh.name): Error: mdbox map .../mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index corrupted: Unexpectedly lost INBOX uid=638 map_uid=809891
> Oct 24 10:43:23 two dovecot: imap(listen at mjh.name): Error: mdbox map .../mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index corrupted: Unexpectedly lost INBOX uid=638 map_uid=809891
> Oct 24 10:43:23 two dovecot: imap(listen at mjh.name): Disconnected: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2012-10-24 10:43:23] bytes=115/53726
> Oct 24 10:43:23 two dovecot: imap(listen at mjh.name): Warning: mdbox .../mdbox/storage: Inconsistency in map index (467,31960 != 467,36768)
> Oct 24 10:43:23 two dovecot: imap(listen at mjh.name): Warning: mdbox .../mdbox/storage: rebuilding indexes

The above problems aren't too bad, since Dovecot fixes itself.

> Oct 24 10:45:19 two dovecot: imap(listen at mjh.name): Panic: file mdbox-storage-rebuild.c: line 773 (rebuild_update_refcounts): assertion failed: (map_uid < msgs[i]->map_uid)

Now this is a bug.

> Dovecot 2.0.19-0ubuntu1

But the bug may have already been fixed in v2.1.

I'd try first with a recent 2.1 version and if that doesn't fix the crash the easiest way for me to fix it would be to get the files. If you put the files through http://dovecot.org/tools/mdbox-obfuscate.pl they should compress pretty nicely.