[Dovecot] Save/restore IMAP session state

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Tue Oct 30 09:19:07 EET 2012

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> A week ago I thought I'd see
> how easy it would be to implement this. I got a basic proof of concept
> working as a "X-STATE" command.

[snip]

> This could also be used to implement quick session state restoring for
> webmails (as suggested by Michael Slusarz).

Wow.  We must have some sort of crazy mind-meld going on: I have been
working on this concept the last few days with the idea of generating
some sort of draft proposal to provoke further discussion going
forward.  I would say great minds think alike, but that would be
giving myself too much credit.

So this provided the necessary motivation to finish the draft concept.
  Now that I have (somewhat) figured out the RFC 2629 XML format for
doing this kind of thing, hopefully this has is presented in a
somewhat coherent format.

The draft, which is significantly more comprehensive than your
suggestion, can be found here:

https://raw.github.com/slusarz/horde-sandbox/master/imap-state-draft/draft-imap-state-00.txt

Not sure if this should remain the forum for discussing this concept,
or if we should move to private messages (or even to the imap-protocol
list).  Let me know your thoughts on this (or anyone else with an
interest).

michael