[Dovecot] INBOX permissios woes

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve guallar at easternrad.com
Mon Oct 29 19:57:37 EET 2012

Hello,

I have a dovecot system that uses winbind authentication
against Active Directory. I set it up by following the directions in the
wiki. That works great.

When a new user receives an email, the inbox
is created with permissions 600 (rw- --- --) and ownership user:mail ,
even though I did chmod 02770 /var/spool/mail. And then, when dovecot
tries to access the inbox, it throws the error:

Oct 29 13:47:59
imap-login: Info: Login: user=<user1>, method=PLAIN, rip=10.0.0.6,
lip=10.0.0.26, mpid=29047, secured
Oct 29 13:47:59 imap(user1): Error:
stat(/var/mail/user1) failed: Permission denied
Oct 29 13:47:59
imap(user1): Error: stat(/var/mail/user1) failed: Permission denied

Accessing users' Sent, Trash, creating new folders.... all that works
fine.

I've been looking at the documentation, reading the wiki,
searching on google, asking on IRC.

If you have any hint or
documentation that I've must have overlooked, please let me know.

Here's my dovecot information:

[josep at testmail ]$ dovecot
--version
2.0.9

[josep at testmail ]$ dovecot -n
# 2.0.9:
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-279.11.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64
CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
auth_mechanisms = plain ntlm
login
auth_use_winbind = yes
auth_username_format = %Lu
base_dir =
/var/run/dovecot/
debug_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-debug.log
listen =
*
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_location =
mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group =
mail
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
passdb {
 driver = pam
}
protocols =
imap
service auth {
 unix_listener auth-userdb {
 mode = 0600

}
}
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key =
</etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
 args = uid=503 gid=503
home=/home/vmail/%u
 driver = static
}
userdb {
 driver =
passwd
}

[josep at testmail ]$

Thank you in advance,

Josep

This transmission is intended for the use of the entity or individual to which
or whom it is addressed.  The transmission or any documents accompanying the
transmission may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or action taken in reliance on the contents of the transmission or the
documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this confidential
transmission in error, please destroy it and any accompanying documents and
notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.