[Dovecot] Clarifications on Pigeonhole and MySQL lookups

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at dada.eu
Wed Oct 10 12:23:17 EEST 2012

Hello,
we're scouting if it's possible to use Pigeonhole (currently v0.3.1, as
this will be provided with an upcoming Debian package) with MySQL dict
lookups with the mail setup we're designing.

Our (main) goals are:

1. store the filters on the database
2. allow each user to enable/disable any of the filters set we provide
(it's a static set of some general filters, available to all the users;
we're currently not providing the possibility to users to write their
own filters)

For point 1) we already see[1] that's possible, but it uses the map
construct that might not fit with our current database structure: we
have a domain table (storing the domain info) and a mailbox table
(storing the mailbox info, but the username is composed by the local
part, stored in this table, and the domain part is a FK to the domain
table, using an id).

Do you think it's possible to run a join query on domain+mailbox to
retrieve the mailbox_id needed to query the table for the filters? Or do
we have to create the filter table and store the local at domain.ext info
there ("relaxing" the integrity relationships between tables)?

How do we specify which filters are enabled for any given user? We
originally thought of an "Enabled" field on the filter table, but in the
example in the doc[1] I hadn't seen a way to do that: it seems like the
filter list is specified in the proxy definition - am I wrong? How can
we do that?

[1]
http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole/file/e9ed5d5cef4b/doc/script-location-dict.txt

I think it's enough for now, maybe additional questions will arise going
deeper in details :)

Thanks in advance,
--
Sandro Tosi