[Dovecot] Shared Squat index for public mailboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 11 23:46:01 EEST 2012

On 11.10.2012, at 23.38, Frerich Raabe wrote:

> Am 11.10.2012 um 22:10 schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>> On 10.10.2012, at 11.06, Frerich Raabe wrote:
>>> I already use this; as I mentioned, the index files of the public readonly mailbox is stored per-user so that each user has his own set of \Seen flags. Here's my public namespace:
>>>
>>> namespace public {
>>> separator = /
>>> prefix = Lists/
>>> location = maildir:/home/vmail/lists/Maildir:CONTROL=~/Maildir/lists:INDEX=~/Maildir/lists
>>> subscriptions = no
>>> }
>>>
>>> Alas, this means that *all* index files (including the Squat index) is stored per-user whereas I'd just to have just *some* of them per-user. :-)
>>
>> You'll need v2.2 and its INDEXPVT setting.
>
> Hm, you mean the feature introduced by http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/dbd42f7198eb ?

Yes.

http://markmail.org/message/45jxf363ffrubonv has some.

> The commit log is a bit unclear to me, it says 'Per-user flags can now be stored in private index files.' however http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Public says 'By making each user have their own private index files, you can make the \Seen flag private for the users.' (using the INDEX setting).
>
> Makes me wonder - the Wiki talks about 'private index files' when talking about 'INDEX' and the commit says 'private index files' talking about INDEXPVT - what is the difference? :-)

You can have both! Shared indexes having the shared stuff (including squat indexes), while the private indexes only have the per-user flags, nothing else. For example with sdbox/mdbox you couldn't even have set per-user INDEX location or it would have just broken.