[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.x POP3 to Dovecot 2.x POP3 mbox to Maildir best transfer program/method

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 12 01:48:53 EEST 2012

On 12.9.2012, at 1.39, Tim E. wrote:

> Sorry for the delay. I have tried and failed to use dsync properly. What would the format and usage of the command be?
> I have all my old Mbox mail file called user onto the new server under /home/trans and used dsync as follows:
>
> dsync -v -u user backup user at domain.com

First of all, you mean you have only one mbox file per user? If the users used IMAP protocol, you should have more than one mbox. The idea is that you first configure Dovecot to point to maildirs, and then use for example:

dsync -u user mirror mbox:/oldhome/user:INBOX=/home/trans/%u

Where /oldhome/user/ would have the non-INBOX files.

> All I get back is the usage. Also, another concern. Will the dovecot indexes be recreated as they where on the old server.

You don't have to worry about indexes.

> Any help would be appreciated. The real question is will the clients have to redownload their emails as I described in the first post.

dsync should preserve all the UIDs and POP3 UIDLs, assuming you have the same pop3_uidl_format setting.