[Dovecot] Wrong quota calculation

Cibest ML ml at cibest.com
Wed Sep 19 15:15:48 EEST 2012

On 12/09/2012 10:58, Cibest ML wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 20:48, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 8.9.2012, at 18.07, Cibest ML wrote:
>>
>>> - Message delivered by LMTP
>>> Quota name Type    Value  Limit
>>> User quota STORAGE  2653 524288
>>> User quota MESSAGE     1      -
>>>
>>> - quota recalc
>>> Quota name Type    Value  Limit
>>> User quota STORAGE  5307 524288
>>> User quota MESSAGE     2      -
>> Quota recalculation is clearly seeing the message twice. My first
>> guess was that you had two namespaces pointing to the same location,
>> but you seem to have only one. Do you have symlinks in your Maildir?
>>
> Hi,
> Nothing specific on the namespace side.
> The only entry is the default one in 10-mail.conf
> namespace inbox {
>  inbox = yes
> }
>
> I tried to comment it out but it doesn't change anything
>
> And no symlinks in the Maildir.
> Here's the file structure of Maildir for the test mailbox
>
> ./dovecot-uidvalidity.504df4e7
> ./dovecot-uidvalidity
> ./.Sent
> ./.Sent/maildirfolder
> ./.Sent/new
> ./.Sent/dovecot.index.log
> ./.Sent/tmp
> ./.Sent/dovecot-uidlist
> ./.Sent/cur
> ./.Spam
> ./.Spam/maildirfolder
> ./.Spam/new
> ./.Spam/dovecot.index.log
> ./.Spam/tmp
> ./.Spam/dovecot-uidlist
> ./.Spam/cur
> ./new
> ./subscriptions
> ./.Drafts
> ./.Drafts/maildirfolder
> ./.Drafts/new
> ./.Drafts/dovecot.index.log
> ./.Drafts/tmp
> ./.Drafts/dovecot-uidlist
> ./.Drafts/cur
> ./.Drafts/dovecot-keywords
> ./dovecot.index.log
> ./tmp
> ./dovecot.mailbox.log
> ./dovecot-uidlist
> ./.Trash
> ./.Trash/maildirfolder
> ./.Trash/new
> ./.Trash/dovecot.index.log
> ./.Trash/tmp
> ./.Trash/dovecot-uidlist
> ./.Trash/cur
> ./cur
> ./cur/1347286291.M194531P4329.mspooll01,S=3748,W=3847:2,Sa
> ./dovecot-keywords
> ./dovecot.index.cache
>
> --
> Regards
> Sébastien

We did some more investigations as we had to enable the no enforcing
quota option to prevent too many compltains from our customers.
As the issue seems to be linked to the inbox folder, we tried to focus
on that. According to Timo's last post, that could be linked to
namespace or symlinks (we don't have any).
There's one quite strange thing we've seen. Display the subscription
windows in Thunderbird and unchecking INBOX then shows two entries.
"INBOX" that isn't selected" and "Inbox" that is selected and cannot
been unselected. Checking "INBOX" again makes "Inbox" disappear
(subscription window need to be closed & reopened after each action).
Now doing some check via telnet doesn't show any mysterious "Inbox"

list "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Spam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX"

lsub "" "*"
* LSUB () "." "Trash"
* LSUB () "." "Sent"
* LSUB () "." "Spam"
* LSUB () "." "Drafts"
* LSUB () "." "Inbox"

04 select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
\*)] Flags permitted.
* 1 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1346832313] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 82] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 51] Highest
04 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

04 select Inbox
* OK [CLOSED] Previous mailbox closed.
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
\*)] Flags permitted.
* 1 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1346832313] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 82] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 51] Highest
04 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

It's working for both but I checked on other working dovecot servers,
that seems to be a normal behavior for Inbox folder

I'm not sure that what we see in Thunderbird is related to the problem
but who knows. Any help is of course welcome as we're out of ideas :)

--
Sébastien