[Dovecot] Can`t get over 1024 processes on FreeBSD - possible bug?

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Mon Sep 24 20:11:23 EEST 2012

> El 21/09/12 11:32, Tomáš Randa escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I still cannot get dovecot running with more then 1000 processes, but
> > hard limit is 8192 per user in box. I tried everything, including
> > modifying startup script of dovecot to set ulimit -u 8192. Could it be
> > some dovecot bug or dovecot<>freebsd bug?
> > I also tried to set client_limit=2 in imap service to spawn more imap
> > clients in one process, but still I am over 1000 processes with kernel
> > message:
> >
> > maxproc limit exceeded by uid 89

You may be running into the kern.maxprocperuid sysctl setting. This is
initialized to 9/10ths of kern.maxproc, but can be changed
independantly. If you do this you may want to consider setting a default
maxproc rlimit in login.conf for the other users on the box. (You may,
of course, already have a maxproc limit in login.conf, and that's what's
causing the problem, though the default install doesn't include one.)

If you have procfs mounted you can check the maxproc rlimit of a running
process by looking in /proc/pid/rlimit. In principle it's possible to
also get this information with libkvm, but it's not very easy and I
don't think any of the standard utilities expose it.

Ben