[Dovecot] 76Gb to 146Gb

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Sep 24 21:07:00 EEST 2012

This is one of those questions which is almost too easy if you are
familiar with Linux.  Trying not to sound like a d*ck, but is it an
option to rent someone to help with admin jobs?  For example, were it me
then I would probably have setup some partitioning scheme with separate
partitions for data and operating system?  Possibly also using LVM?

You have several options, mainly the choice of filesystem will dictate
here, but quite possibly you can:
1) Pull the drives one by one and rebuild the raid after each. Keep the
old drives since you can technically roll back onto them. Expand the
partitions (scary without LVM) and then expand the filesystem on the
partitions
2) Boot from a DVD/Flash on your favourite rescue distro (I like
sysrecuecd). Create the new raid, copy the old to the new, remove the
old drives, reboot from new.  Possibly taking the time to repartition
and move some data around while you do it (remember to update fstab)

Both are fairly simple if you have done it once, but it would be well
worth finding someone either local or who will log in via remote control
and support you?

Final thought:  For the size of drives you are looking at, SSD drives
are relatively inexpensive and likely comparable with the high end
drives you are probably looking to buy?  For 40 users I would hazard a
guess you likely would be happy with inexpensive low end drives, but
certainly a couple of small SSDs will blow away a spinning disk and give
you a decent upgrade...

Good luck

Ed W