[Dovecot] Hanging IMAP sessions on Mac OS X with dovecot 2.1.10 - worked fine with 2.0.15

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Sep 28 21:59:52 EEST 2012

On 22.9.2012, at 19.11, Clemens Schrimpe wrote:

> Well, that led my to believe, that there was something wrong with the -so called- "mach bootstrap context". I usually start dovecot from with a (home-brewn) startup-script, which invokes it (practically) like so:
>
> 	sudo /usr/libexec/StartupItemContext dovecot
>
> (again: all this was working fine under 2.0.15)
>
> Now with 2.1.10, when I manually invoke dovecot with just
>
> 	sudo dovecot
>
> Everything appears to work fine - at least the sessions don't get stuck any more. But as soon as I logout (with dovecot still running in the background) it loses it's "mach bootstrap context" and finds itself unable to perform even the simplest tasks, like mapping a username to a uid, etc. pp. -- so starting it without the "/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext" in the background is out of the question.

I don't really know about mach contexts or how they're supposd to work..

> What has changed with regards to "processual context" between 2.0.15 and 2.1.10 when the "imap" process is spawned/exec'd? Any environmental cleanups, closing of unknown fds, deletion/modification of environment variables, process-group-handlers, etc.?

Not much I think. I just looked at the diff between 2.0 and 2.1 and don't really see anything I could blame. If you have time you could try bisecting with mercurial (basically try different versions from hg) to isolate the change that broke it. I don't really have time to debug this..