[Dovecot] best way to activate quota

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Fri Sep 7 13:11:45 EEST 2012

Hello,

	I'm planning to activate quota control in dovecot, with maildir quota
backend. I have about 70k users in my system directed to 4 backend
servers (with a director to ensure that a user is always directed to the
same server).

	I have tried to activate it in one of my nodes. The problem is that
load of it has increase a lot, as much as the system was unusable
(maildir is in nfs storage, with indexes in local disks).

	What do you think is the best to activate it?

	I have think that I could use doveadm commands to calculate an initial
quota (on low load periods) and then activate quota, hoping that
although quota is not correct, it would be used. Should this work?