[Dovecot] Traffic Accounting

M. Naumann m.naumann at globalview.de
Mon Sep 24 19:32:43 EEST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how to do traffic accounting with Dovecot 2.x,
preferrably v2.0.9, preferrably on CentOS 6.

I've previously asked on IRC, but there was little feedback, and my
understanding is now this list is the preferred media for such
inquiries. If I recall correctly, some weeks ago I was told that traffic
accounting is not officially supported on Dovecot 2, but that there
could still be ways to get it to work, but no details were provided.

I can think of the following approaches:

* rawlog, preferrably piped (if that's possible?) into something like wc
to prevent privacy issues and to reduce the I/O overhead

* maildrop filtering in front of dovecot LDA (for mail inbound to mail
storage)

* sieve filtering

Unfortunately I have little experience with either so far, so it's hard
to make a good choice. I would appreciate hints on these approaches, and
on any other approaches you can think of, as well as any related
documentation / how-to you could point me to.

While I'm subscribed to the list (for mail authentication purposes),
I've disabled receiving any e-mail form the list, so please CC me on any