[Dovecot] client limit and STARTTLS

David Benfell dbenfell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 23:05:59 EEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm migrating from one system to another. Both are Arch Linux, but
copying the configurations and just modifying them for IP addresses
and hostnames didn't work.

Here's doveconf -n

# 2.1.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Warning: service auth { client_limit=256 } is lower than
required under max. load (3072)
doveconf: Warning: service anvil { client_limit=256 } is lower than
required under max. load (2051)
# OS: Linux 3.8.4-1-ARCH x86_64
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
default_client_limit = 256
default_process_limit = 1024
login_trusted_networks = 10.8.0.0/16 127.0.0.0/8
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_max_userip_connections = 30
passdb {
  args = failure_show_msg=yes
  driver = pam
}
service auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_cert = </big/www/ssl/www.cybernude.org_publickey.pem
ssl_key = </big/www/ssl/www.cybernude.org_privatekey.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

Obvious first question: I can't figure out how to make dovecot happy
with the client and process limits. I'm not terribly worried about
going overboard here, though I have a very small number of users; the
migration is to a much more capable system. But I would like to stop
looking at the warning. It doesn't seem to matter what I put where--it
keeps complaining.

Second question: STARTTLS isn't working. What am I missing? Sorry if
this is something that should be obvious; I'm fighting a similar
battle with postfix and I'm being pushed around the bend while I
really need to be working on other things.

Thanks!