[Dovecot] Probs authenticating to Dovecot

Kris Magnusson kris.magnusson at icloud.com
Tue Apr 16 09:38:39 EEST 2013

I have triple (trippple) checked the recommended configuration and it is per the how-to.

The SQL is likely fine. I'm not a SQL maven, but I'm not dumb about SQL, and it passed a couple of inspections.

You're right that telnet localhost 110 doesn't work.

postconf -a reports that it knows about cyrus and dovecot.

I don't really trust this ISPConfig thing, as it likes to do its own stuff that flies in the face of reason, and introducing a DB into the mix just made things an order of magnitude more complicated. I'd rather use OpenLDAP, since I can write JNDI code to figure out what's going on with a directory and even add/modify/delete entries to/in the directory.

I will blow this VM away and start from scratch. Unless anyone has any concrete suggestions I can implement before then that I can use to salvage a day's worth of work.

Is there a best possible OS for running Dovecot/Postfix? That would be a step in the right direction. Ubuntu is great for running WordPress, but I recognize there are different OSes out there. I don't care if it's Linux-based or a BSD distribution.

Will Dovecot/Postfix scale without a RDBMS backing it up? Or will OpenLDAP suffice?

Thanks much.

Kris