[Dovecot] Probs authenticating to Dovecot

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Apr 16 10:09:52 EEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 23:38 -0700, Kris Magnusson wrote:

> and introducing a DB into the mix just made things an order of magnitude more complicated. I'd rather use OpenLDAP, since I can write JNDI code to figure out what's going on with a directory and even add/modify/delete entries to/in the directory.

I'll start a war here, but IMO, ldap is just another database...

If you are doing virtuals nothing wrong with them, mysql works fine.

> I will blow this VM away and start from scratch. Unless anyone has any concrete suggestions I can implement before then that I can use to salvage a day's worth of work.

Unless you built them from source, I'd wait a day or so (if you can)
until maybe some ubuntu users can offer suggestions, but, given ubuntu
is just a dressed up debian, you might find something of interest that
will work for you on google.

> Is there a best possible OS for running Dovecot/Postfix?

Slackware! haha  - asking that question will start another war - each to
our own, whatever distro you are comfortable with - slackware, centos,
debian, suse, or the kiddie variants (fedora/ubuntu)  (/me puts on flame
suite )... it wont make much difference really, it's just a mater of
getting the daemons to talk nicely to each other, which they do,
postfix, dovecot and mysql go hand in hand.

> but I recognize there are different OSes out there. I don't care if it's Linux-based or a BSD distribution.
>
> Will Dovecot/Postfix scale without a RDBMS backing it up? Or will OpenLDAP suffice?

It scales best with one, but that's just my opinion, there are some folk
who do use ldap but I dont know their network requirements.