[Dovecot] last login timestamp

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Apr 29 19:47:18 EEST 2013

Am 29.04.2013 18:23, schrieb Peer Heinlein:
> Am 29.04.2013 18:01, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>

>> doing touch method may slow down your i.e cluster filesystem, database
>> etc specially with high frequent logins, related how/what you need such
>> timestamps
>> you can get them from logs too, to get an idea
>
> If a system's breaking down by touching one file per login this system
> should never host users, that receive more then 20 mails per day.

please read and understand what "high frequent logins" means, i am
talking about i.e 2000 pop3 tls logins per second

> EVERY single stupid e-mail generates MUCH more I/O then touching
> last-login. Every log line generates as much I/O, als touching this file.

dont tell ,instead measure ,try i.e with high pop3 rates on drbd ocfs2
cluster and maildir

> Anyway, I never believed that cluster filesystems are a usable storage
> system for mailservers. I don't like and recommend cluster filesystems
> for that.

i dont remember asking that, however i have that up and running
and many others have too, we done tests about different filesystems
if done right , its an absolut working power solution,

plugin believing is not part of dovecot *g

> But, sure, your way with cron saves some I/O, that's right.

its not meant to be the holy grail, but may use as simple workaround
everyone needs to have logs ( i.e in big setups you have central logging
), so why not use it for this job too, instead of figure around with
filestamps, database , ldap logins , change dovecot config etc

> I just remembered, that in our LDAP-lastlogin-script we simply built in
> a check that READ lastlogin befor updating it and that just updated
> lastlogin, if lastlogin differs from the actual date. In that case every
> user generates just one LDAP-write per day, which was quite okay.

i did not say yor solution is wrong or bad, but however there are many
ways to goal last login target

> Peer
>

> -
> Heinlein Support GmbH
> Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin
>
> http://www.heinlein-support.de
>
> Tel: 030 / 405051-42
> Fax: 030 / 405051-19
>
> Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
> Berlin-Charlottenburg,
> Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein -- Sitz: Berlin

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG