[Dovecot] last login timestamp

oajara at frsf.utn.edu.ar oajara at frsf.utn.edu.ar
Mon Apr 29 20:14:01 EEST 2013

I guess I don't have such a high load so I will try Peer's
recomendation about using PostLoginScripting first and measure the
impact. I will try the log monitoring technique if the impact is
significant. Thank you very much.

El 29.04.2013 13:47, Robert
Schetterer escribió:

> Am 29.04.2013 18:23, schrieb Peer Heinlein:
>

>> Am 29.04.2013 18:01, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>>
>>> doing touch
method may slow down your i.e cluster filesystem, database etc specially
with high frequent logins, related how/what you need such timestamps you
can get them from logs too, to get an idea
>> If a system's breaking
down by touching one file per login this system should never host users,
that receive more then 20 mails per day.

> please read and understand
what "high frequent logins" means, i am
> talking about i.e 2000 pop3
tls logins per second

>> EVERY single stupid e-mail generates MUCH
more I/O then touching last-login. Every log line generates as much I/O,
als touching this file.

> dont tell ,instead measure ,try i.e with
high pop3 rates on drbd ocfs2
> cluster and maildir
> Anyway, I never
believed that cluster filesystems are a usable storage system for
mailservers. I d

>> i have that up and running and many others have
too, we done tests about different filesystems if done right , its an
absolut working power solution
> elieving is not part of dovecot *g But,
sure, your way with cron saves some I/O, that's right.

> its not
meant to be the holy grail, but may use as simple workaround
> everyone
needs to have logs ( i.e in big setups you hav> , ldap logins , change
dovecot config etc
> " style="padding-left:5px; border-left:#1010ff 2px
solid; margin-left:5px; width:100%">I just remembered, that in our
LDAP-lastlogin-script we simply built in a check that READ lastlogin
befor updating it and that just updated lastlogin, if lastlogin differs
from the actual date. In that case every user generates just one
LDAP-write per day, which was quite okay.

> i did not say y>
pe="cite" style="padding-left:5px; border-left:#1010ff 2px solid;
margin-left:5px; width:100%">Peer - Heinlein Support GmbH Schwedter Str.
8/9b, 10119 Berlin http://www.heinlein-support.de [1] Tel: 030 /
405051-42 Fax: 030 / 405051-19 Zw
> t. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B /
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein --
Sitz: Berlin

> Best Regards
> MfG Robert Schetterer
>
> --
> [*]
sys4 AG

> http://s> ünchen, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263 Vorstand:
Patrick Ben Koetter, Axel von der Ohe, Marc Schiffbauer
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Florian Kirstein __________ Information from
ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 8279 (20130429)
__________ The message was checked by ESET Mail Sec

ef="http://www.eset.com">http://www.eset.com

Links:
------