[Dovecot] Mail deduplication

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Tue Apr 30 09:05:06 EEST 2013

El 30/04/13 03:28, Tim Groeneveld escribió:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am wondering about mail deduplication. I am looking into the possibility
> of seperating out all of the message bodies with multiple parts inside mail
> that is recived from `dovecot` and hashing them all.
>
> The idea is that by hashing all of the parts inside the email, I will be
> able to ensure that each part of the email will only be saved once.
>
> This means that attachments & common parts of the body will only be
> saved once inside the storage.
>
> How achievable would this be with the current state of dovecot? Would it
> even be worth doing?

	I asked the same question recently. As Timo responsed at
http://kevat.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-March/089072.html it seems
that this feature is production stable in recent versions of dovecot.

	And I think it is worth. My estimations (with just about 10 users of my
organization, they are no accurate) is that you can save more than 30%
of total mail storage.

	To configure it you need to use options:

* mail_attachment_dir
* mail_attachement_min_size
* mail_attachment_fs
* mail_attachment_hash