[Dovecot] Mail deduplication

Arnaud Abélard arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr
Tue Apr 30 10:04:51 EEST 2013

On 04/30/2013 08:05 AM, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
> El 30/04/13 03:28, Tim Groeneveld escribió:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I am wondering about mail deduplication. I am looking into the
>> possibility
>> of seperating out all of the message bodies with multiple parts inside
>> mail
>> that is recived from `dovecot` and hashing them all.
>>
>> The idea is that by hashing all of the parts inside the email, I will be
>> able to ensure that each part of the email will only be saved once.
>>
>> This means that attachments & common parts of the body will only be
>> saved once inside the storage.
>>
>> How achievable would this be with the current state of dovecot? Would it
>> even be worth doing?
>>
>      I asked the same question recently. As Timo responsed at
> http://kevat.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-March/089072.html it seems
> that this feature is production stable in recent versions of dovecot.
>
>      And I think it is worth. My estimations (with just about 10 users
> of my organization, they are no accurate) is that you can save more than
> 30% of total mail storage.
>
>      To configure it you need to use options:
>
> * mail_attachment_dir
> * mail_attachement_min_size
> * mail_attachment_fs
> * mail_attachment_hash

Hello,

Is it just working or is it working in a optimal way? back in October
2011 we noticed that the deduplication wasn't working as well as we were
expecting as some files weren't properly deduplicated
(http://markmail.org/message/ymfdwng7un2mj26z). Timo did you ever hit
that bug and got it fixed if there was anything to fix on your side?

Since we are very interrested in this feature I am very eager to hear
about admins using it on a similar scale (around 80,000 mailboxes).

Thanks,

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Abélard (jabber: arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr)
Administrateur Système - Responsable Services Web
ne pas utiliser: trapemail at univ-nantes.fr