[Dovecot] mdbox - healthy rotation size vs default

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Mon Aug 26 22:05:07 EEST 2013

On 26.08.2013, at 20:35, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2013-08-24 4:47 AM, Michael Grimm <trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de> wrote:

>> Don't ask me why I did chose 100m, I cannot remember;-)  Ok, if one of such mdbox files will become corrupt, I will loose a lot of mail, but on the other hand I am running two dovecot servers in parallel (replicator/dsync) and I do take hourly snapshots (ZFS) of my mail storage file system as well.
>
> Well, if they are stored on ZFS, I guess the chances of corruption are extremely minimal (much less than for other filesystems)...

Haven't had any file system corruption for a very long time now, even before switching to ZFS.

> I'm curious, is this on FreeBSD?

Yes I migrated my servers to FreeBSD some years ago, and I am using ZFS for approx. two years now.

> Linux? I'm interested in details, as I'd love to be able to use ZFS on my gentoo linux box without having to enable modules...

Sorry, but I never used ZFS with Linux. But, ZFS and snapshots as such are pretty awesome and helped me a lot in the past when it comes to "recovering from human mistakes" ;-)

Regrads,
Michael