[Dovecot] Dovecot and Postfix Authentication

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sat Aug 31 09:58:57 EEST 2013

On 30 Aug 2013, at 20:37 , Christopher Trom <chtrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a user of the
> system, am I supposed to authenticate myself to Postfix,

No. Postfix has no authentication methods on its own.

<http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html>

> Dovecot, both
> individually, or both together? My Postfix users are stored in a PostgreSQL
> database, should Dovecot also be connected to this db?

Yes.

> Some basic pointers
> on how this setup ought to look is all that I'm hoping for.

# Certs
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

# Dovecot 2.x
# For postfix to talk to:

service auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
}

# allow IMAP only
protocols = imap

# For IMAP users to get their mail

service imap-login {
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}

# For SQL users to authenticate
# Note that UID and GID and mail_location are for MY system
# if all your users are in sql, you can get mail_location from
# the database

userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  default_fields = uid=vpopmail gid=vchkpw mail_location=/usr/local/virtual/%u
  driver = sql
}

--
'Ah... I see that the new traffic division is having the desired
effect.' He indicated a large pile of paper. 'I am getting any amount of