[Dovecot] Getting back into Dovecot 2.2.5

Kai Hendry hendry at dabase.com
Sat Aug 31 13:07:01 EEST 2013

Hi there,

I'm prompted to get into running my own mail server again with Gmail
going bad.

However I found /usr/share/doc/dovecot/example-config/conf.d/ a little
scary, since I like to have my configs as minimalistic as possible, e.g.
http://dabase.com/blog/Minimal_squid3_proxy_configuration/

So far I have:
https://github.com/Webconverger/sg.webconverger.com/blob/master/dovecot/dovecot.conf

I was kinda hoping for a Maildir, but this doesn't work:
	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

I do realise /var/mail/%u is a mbox, but I was wondering if there could
be some clever conversion.

I was surprised something like INBOX=/var/mail/%u wasn't the default
btw.  Also surprised dovecot seems to choke on single line syntax like
`passdb { driver = pam }` :-)

Next thing I'm confused about is the `namespace inbox {` stuff. Is it
really needed? I was expecting Dovecot to create the folders once I
defined them, but mutt couldn't see them until I created them myself.

The mail server is just for myself and a few colleagues. We will
probably use mutt as our MUA and Apple Mail on IOS when we are out &
about. I next plan to integrate dspam, and work out how to sort mails
into folders like I previously effectively had with Gmail's labels.

I was confused to which mechanism I should be using to sort mail into
folders with rules. Sieve? Back to Procmail? Pigeonhole? I'm looking to
avoid complexity here.

On the topic of search, can I get away with not running a Solr server?
Since I shudder at the thought of running Tomcat.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS

Kiitos paljon for any pointers!