[Dovecot] Replication via sneakernet

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Sat Dec 7 20:49:06 EET 2013

David Bishop <dovecot at dpe.lusars.net> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
>
>> David Bishop <dovecot at dpe.lusars.net> writes:
>> > Is there a way to get a running transaction log from a Dovecot instance
>> > synchronize (and I use that word very, very loosely) multiple instances
>> > that don't share a network?
>>

> I think what you want is not synchronize the state of one mail server
>> across multiple computers, but have mail transport from one system to
>> another via sneakernet. In other words, you want UUCP. It might be
>> ancient, but it should do exactly what you want.
>>

> I've looked at UUCP, and while it solves a related problem, it doesn't seem
> like it solves my problem (which is why I originally asked about copying
> files directly out of the spool). It is, I think, possible to force UUCP to
> do what I want, but dsync seems an easier solution. (Sadly, it'll be a bit
> before I have time to work up a testbed.)
>
> As an example:
> If Bob-from-maintenance is working his way up the line, he may be emailing
> updates to the maintenance list (stuff like "this needs replacement but I
> don't have the part" and "This problem has been sorted") before hopping a
> tram to the next station.
> At the next station (please note: different server with its own mail spool
> pretending to be the same server), the local IMAP server should look (to
> Bob, and Bob's phone) exactly the same (down to message IDs, because
> otherwise, his phone is going to get confused about the locally-cached
> email).

Ah, well, your original email never mentioned phones :-). In that case
UUCP is not going to work well.

I was assuming that Bob (and everyone else) has a laptop. In that case,
he would carry his mail spool around with him, and send and receive
emails via UUCP whenever he is in the vicinity of another system.

Best,
Nikolaus

--
Encrypted emails preferred.