[Dovecot] Replication via sneakernet

David Bishop dovecot at dpe.lusars.net
Sat Dec 7 22:36:02 EET 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:

> Ah, well, your original email never mentioned phones :-). In that case
> UUCP is not going to work well.
>
> I was assuming that Bob (and everyone else) has a laptop. In that case,
> he would carry his mail spool around with him, and send and receive
> emails via UUCP whenever he is in the vicinity of another system.

Bob is already lugging almost 10kg of kit and parts via tram. I can only
presume that any proposal to add to that (especially something
comparatively delicate) would be met with rather less enthusiasm than you
might think (it would be replacing a pad of post-it notes and a biro;
messages currently get relayed via tram drivers, either verbally or via
written note). His phone already gets used for games/music/etc, so nothing
new would be added to what Bob must carry.

Also, even if I were to add a lappy to Bob's cart, I would still want to be
able to recreate the mail spool (should Bob drop it off the tram and onto
rocks while attempting to email on the move), complete with "read" and
"deleted" flags, and UUCP does not seem to be the simple way of doing this.