[Dovecot] Dovecot+LDAP lda problem

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Tue Dec 10 16:59:42 EET 2013

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, Zeljko Culek wrote:

> I'll try to simplify to be more understandable:
>
> I have a mailing group (or list if you prefer) e.g. developers at nth.ch. This
> group has many recipients, defined with LDAP attribute maiForwardingAddress
> for developers at nth.ch. Those recipients can be both internal (nth.ch) and
> external (any other domain - gmail, yahoo, etc.). So, when mail is sent to
> developers at nth.ch, it is delivered to all of the recipients in
> mailForwardingAddress, but also to developers at nth.ch mailbox; with qmail,
> that mailbox didn't even exist, i.e. mail was delivered only to
> mailForwardingAddress recipients, and no developers at nth.ch mailbox was
> created or deliverd a message.
>
> So, that's what I want to achieve - mail to be delivered only to
> mailForwardingAddress recipient mailboxes. So, deliveryMode=nolocal with
> qmail meant - don't deliver mail to mail=something, only deliver to
> mailForwardingAddress=something.

OK, that's definitely the job of postfix. See
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/mail_systems/postfix_documentation/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README_005.html

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bv developers at nth.ch

must not return developers at nth.ch as recipient.

Also check out postmap to see, what the query actually returns.

Maybe, someone has aliased a recipient back to developers at nth.ch.

> On 10.12.2013 08:22, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, Zeljko Culek wrote:
>>
>>> I need some help with Dovecot+LDAP config and local delivery.
>>>
>>> We're using Dovecot 2.0.9 on Centos 6.4. Before, we used Qmail with the
>>> same LDAP. Our LDAP accounts have the attribute
>>>
>>> deliveryMode
>>>
>>> which we used for mailing lists (OK, they are in fact mailing groups
>>> rather than lists). When the attribute is set to
>>>
>>> deliveryMode = nolocal
>>>
>>> Qmail did not deliver mail to the list mailbox, only to the accounts on
>>> the list/group.
>>
>> So, there are multiple recipients per mail group? Or can the recipient be
>> external?
>>
>>> Now with Dovecot(+postfix) I can't achieve the same behaviour. Can Dovecot
>>> be set up not to deliver the mail to the list mailbox if the list has the
>>> attribute deliveryMode = nolocal?
>>>
>>> This is my /etc/dovecot/conf.d/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
>>> hosts = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>> auth_bind = yes
>>> dn = cn=admin,dc=nth,dc=ch
>>> dnpass = xxxxxxxxxx
>>> ldap_version = 3
>>> base = dc=nth,dc=ch
>>> #deref = always
>>> scope = subtree
>>> user_attrs = mail=user
>>> user_filter =
>>> (|(&(objectclass=inetOrgPerson)(mail=%u))(|(mailAlternateAddress=%u)))
>>> pass_attrs = uid=user
>>> pass_filter =
>>> (&(objectclass=inetOrgPerson)(|(mail=%u)(mailAlternateAddress=%u)))
>>> default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
>>>
>>> Basicaly, I want to make check:
>>> if deliveryMode=nolocal > do not deliver to mail=some.mail at tld.com (only
>>> to mailForwardingAddress)
>>> else deliver normally
>>
>> If my above statement is true, this is the job of postfix to split the
>> delivery into all recipients, possibly sending the message off the host. As
>> it was with qmail.
>>
>> - -- Steffen Kaiser

- --
Steffen Kaiser