[Dovecot] Errors with doveadm when using checkpassword

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Tue Feb 5 05:15:19 EET 2013

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > So, I guess what you're saying is doveadm should be talking to the
> > proxy instance rather than the backend instance? I assume I need to
> > move the backend to a differently named config and make my proxy
> > instances live in dovecot.conf, so that doveadm sees the "right"
> > config?
>
> I think you need to remove doveadm_proxy_port from the backend
> dovecot.conf.

Thanks Timo.

That gave me:

doveadm -c /usr/local/etc/dovecot/proxy.conf search -u andynew at xecu.net mailbox Trash DELETED
doveadm(andytest at xecu.net): Error: doveadm_password not set, can't authenticate to remote server
doveadm(andytest at xecu.net): Error: 10.0.0.47:30003: Internal failure for andytest at xecu.net

So, on a whim, I moved the doveadm_password out from the local {} sections
into the main level, and then things started to work as expected.

Is that how it should be setup now?

Thanks again for help getting me straightened out! This all started
because I want to start purging the trash with doveadm instead of 'find'
with -delete.

Andy

---
Andy Dills