[Dovecot] understanding namespace configuration

btb at bitrate.net btb at bitrate.net
Sun Feb 24 21:25:29 EET 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 10.04, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 23.2.2013, at 18.26, btb at bitrate.net wrote:
>
>> i'm a little confused about namespace configuration.  reading http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces , and looking at the examples, it seems that when a namespace is declared, you can either do "namespace { ..." or "namespace foo { ..." - i'm having trouble finding clarity on the significance of "foo" though.  it would appear it's not required, but then what is its purpose?  what does it mean?  does it imply something?
>
> It serves no other purpose than being able to refer to the namespace later in the config file.
>
>> it's also unclear to me how to create the "default private namespace".  i see that there are three types of namespaces, but the list of namespace settings doesn't seem to include a parameter to set the namespace type.  what am i missing?
>
> namespace {
>  type = private
>  .. other settings ..
> }
>
> They are private by default though.  Also the wiki page was somewhat out of date .. I updated it now. It no longer talks about "default private namespace" at all, since it probably just adds confusion (especially with v2.1+).

thanks, this fills in the missing pieces.  are changes to the documentation wiki welcome from arbitrary folks in the community?  i know it's a wiki, and get the essence and all that, but just wanted to ask out of consideration.  i'd like to add a reference to "type =" in the list of namespace settings.

-ben