[Dovecot] What to back up from a mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 26 09:12:15 EET 2013

On 26.2.2013, at 7.56, Dag Nygren <dag at newtech.fi> wrote:

> short question to the list:
>
> - What parts of a mdbox mail store directory can I leave out from my backup?
>  I can see huge *.cache files for eample. Can these be rebuilt?

The *.cache files are the only ones that can be rebuilt without data loss. But depending on what clients you're using if you have to rebuild the cache files the performance can become quite bad until it's done.

You could also run doveadm purge before backup to shrink its size.

> - Can dovecot recover from a backup "on the fly"?

Not sure what you mean, but most likely the answer is "yes".