[Dovecot] dsync timeout?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 31 00:15:36 EET 2013

On 31.1.2013, at 0.06, Micah Anderson <micah at riseup.net> wrote:

> I'm using dsync for a regular backup. The backup system flocks so that
> two cannot run at the same time, which is generally a good thing. The
> problem is that it seems like dsync sometimes goes off into the weeds
> and never comes back, leaving a process running and doing nothing
> forever, hogging the lock and causing my backups never to run again. I
> just finally figured out that was what was causing the backups not to
> run on this system was this process:
>
> root     17836  0.0  0.0  40888  1600 ?        S     2012   0:00 ssh -i /root/.ssh/backmaildir_id_rsa backmaildir at arg /usr/bin/dsync -u foobar server
>
> yeah, that has been running since 2012 :(

So that's the ssh process. What about the dsync process that started it? Does/did it exist?

There is a 15 minute timeout in dsync after which it stops itself. Normally the child process should also die.. v2.2 now will make sure that the child process dies: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/070ca24e5846