[Dovecot] dsync timeout?

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Thu Jan 31 00:06:57 EET 2013

I'm using dsync for a regular backup. The backup system flocks so that
two cannot run at the same time, which is generally a good thing. The
problem is that it seems like dsync sometimes goes off into the weeds
and never comes back, leaving a process running and doing nothing
forever, hogging the lock and causing my backups never to run again. I
just finally figured out that was what was causing the backups not to
run on this system was this process:

root     17836  0.0  0.0  40888  1600 ?        S     2012   0:00 ssh -i /root/.ssh/backmaildir_id_rsa backmaildir at arg /usr/bin/dsync -u foobar server

yeah, that has been running since 2012 :(

root:/tmp# strace -p 17836
Process 17836 attached - interrupt to quit
select(8, [4], [], NULL, NULL

very exciting...

There doesn't seem to be a timeout in dsync, but perhaps there should
be? At this point my only option is to write a cronjob that will look
for dsync processes that are over a certain amount of time old and then
kill them, after I do that I will need to take a shower because that is
a very dirty solution :P

thanks for any ideas, or help!
micah