[Dovecot] getting quota error when accessing private namespace

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Fri Jul 12 10:37:13 EEST 2013

Am 12.07.2013 09:07, schrieb Andreas Oster:
> Am 12.07.2013 08:39, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>> Am 12.07.2013 07:27, schrieb Andreas Oster:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have run into a problem which I cannot find a solution for.
>>>
>>> I have created an additional private namespace with the following
>>> commands in dovecot.conf :
>>>
>>> namespace {
>>>   disabled = no
>>>   hidden = no
>>>   ignore_on_failure = no
>>>   inbox = no
>>>   list = children
>>>   location = maildir:/var/vmail/archives/%Ln/Maildir
>>>   mailbox "archived mails" {
>>>     auto = subscribe
>>>     driver =
>>>     special_use = \Archive
>>>   }
>>>   prefix = Archives/
>>>   separator = /
>>>   subscriptions = yes
>>>   type = private
>>> }
>>>
>>> plugin {
>>>   quota = maildir:User quota:ns=
>>>   quota2 = maildir:Archives quota:ns=Archives/
>>>   quota2_rule = *:storage=5G
>>>   quota_rule = *:storage=1G
>>>   quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+200M
>>> }
>>>

>>> I can access the new namespace without any problems but every time
>>> a folder in this namespace is accessed, I get the following error
>>> messages in mail.err log:
>>>
>>>   dovecot: imap(testuser): Error: quota: Unknown namespace: Archives/
>>>   dovecot: last message repeated 49 times
>>>

>>> Quota seems to work, though I have the feeling, that it only will be
>>> updated when closing and reopening the mail client, but this can also
>>> be a client issue.
>>>
>>> Quota for the INBOX is either taken from LDAP or, if there is no value
>>> defined in LDAP, will be assigned a quota of 1G
>>>
>>> The Archives/ namespace has a static quota of 5G for every user.
>>>

>>> Does anyone have idea how to get rid of these error messages ?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your kind help
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>>

>> why you want to have a separate namespace for archives ?, why not use
>> simply a imap folder for every user ( which i wouldnt call archives,
>> cause that name is allready used by thunderbird etc ), or use some pub
>> namespace with an archive-username folder, restrictions can be done by
>> acl, what problem youre trying to solve?
>>
>> perhaps you might have a look at
>>
>> http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/07/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern/
>>
>> for ideas
>>
>> also
>>
>> http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/03/25/outlook-2013-special-use-mit-dovecot/
>>
>> should give you help for special use handling, guess german is ok for you
>>

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>

> Hello Robert,
>
> thank you for your fast response.
>
> I wanted to use the Thunderbird archive feature to allow users to move
> [...]

a folder can have additional plus quota
via quota rules

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Configuration

for short thinking you may use pub namespace with

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox#Alternate_storage

but i nearly sure, there are some other solutions too for solving this,
wait for other maybe better ideas

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--