[Dovecot] getting quota error when accessing private namespace

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Fri Jul 12 10:07:32 EEST 2013

Am 12.07.2013 08:39, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Am 12.07.2013 07:27, schrieb Andreas Oster:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have run into a problem which I cannot find a solution for.
>>
>> I have created an additional private namespace with the following
>> commands in dovecot.conf :
>>
>> namespace {
>>   disabled = no
>>   hidden = no
>>   ignore_on_failure = no
>>   inbox = no
>>   list = children
>>   location = maildir:/var/vmail/archives/%Ln/Maildir
>>   mailbox "archived mails" {
>>     auto = subscribe
>>     driver =
>>     special_use = \Archive
>>   }
>>   prefix = Archives/
>>   separator = /
>>   subscriptions = yes
>>   type = private
>> }
>>
>> plugin {
>>   quota = maildir:User quota:ns=
>>   quota2 = maildir:Archives quota:ns=Archives/
>>   quota2_rule = *:storage=5G
>>   quota_rule = *:storage=1G
>>   quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+200M
>> }
>>

>> I can access the new namespace without any problems but every time
>> a folder in this namespace is accessed, I get the following error
>> messages in mail.err log:
>>
>>   dovecot: imap(testuser): Error: quota: Unknown namespace: Archives/
>>   dovecot: last message repeated 49 times
>>

>> Quota seems to work, though I have the feeling, that it only will be
>> updated when closing and reopening the mail client, but this can also
>> be a client issue.
>>
>> Quota for the INBOX is either taken from LDAP or, if there is no value
>> defined in LDAP, will be assigned a quota of 1G
>>
>> The Archives/ namespace has a static quota of 5G for every user.
>>

>> Does anyone have idea how to get rid of these error messages ?
>>
>> Thank you for your kind help
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> why you want to have a separate namespace for archives ?, why not use
> simply a imap folder for every user ( which i wouldnt call archives,
> cause that name is allready used by thunderbird etc ), or use some pub
> namespace with an archive-username folder, restrictions can be done by
> acl, what problem youre trying to solve?
>
> perhaps you might have a look at
>
> http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/07/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern/
>
> for ideas
>
> also
>
> http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/03/25/outlook-2013-special-use-mit-dovecot/
>
> should give you help for special use handling, guess german is ok for you
>

> Best Regards
> MfG Robert Schetterer

Hello Robert,

thank you for your fast response.

I wanted to use the Thunderbird archive feature to allow users to move
old mails, they want to keep, to a storage located on another server.
But it would be perfectly OK to just have another folder where they can
drop their old stuff.
Every user should have a quota of 5G in that folder, which is different
from the default INBOX quota.

best regards

Andreas