[Dovecot] Dovecot Virtual Folders... could these be managed by a/the Client?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 12 19:37:54 EEST 2013

Hi,

On 12.7.2013, at 16.21, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:

> I know that dovecot supports server side virtual folders:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual
>
> But I'm wondering about the possibility to manage these from the client side...
>
> For example, would it be possible to create an extension in Thunderbird that allowed the user to manage these (create, edit the filters for, delete, rename, etc)?

Currently Dovecot doesn't provide an IMAP level interface for managing these. There have been two proposed IMAP extensions for these, but nothing really came ouf ot those. It would be possible to add some new IMAP extension to configure the virtual folders, but the main reason why there isn't one is simply because I haven't thought anyone would bother to implement such spec.