[Dovecot] new user questions

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sun Jul 14 13:37:58 EEST 2013

On 13-07-13 19:56, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Trying to follow along with the wiki2 setup instructions and thought I'd
> hit a snag with the first "send me a mail" snippet as it took several
> minutes to arrive, so I assume that somehow procmail was involved in the
> delivery and my procmail runs mail thought a whole bunch of checks before
> finally handing it off to a mailfile as /var/mail/gene.

Normally procmail is called from the MTA, e.g. Postfix.
If you use Postfix disable this line in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

Look at /var/log/mail.log for more information.

> Then the next script seems to only try whats in my home dir, and of course
> doesn't find it as neither exists, yet...
>
> I assume that is because dovecot needs a kill -HUP.  But I am not familiar
> with that, so how is it done, and as what user, me, or root, on a ubuntu
> 12.04.2 LTS install?

I don't know what the wiki exactly says. But what you can do is a
"service dovecot restart" as root.

I think your questions are more MTA questions then Dovecot questions.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/