[Dovecot] dbus support in dovecot?

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jul 25 15:19:10 EEST 2013

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 07:57:55 -0400
> From: Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] dbus support in dovecot?
>
> On Thursday 25 July 2013 07:10:38 Steffen Kaiser did opine:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I am trying to transition from ubu10.04.4 LTS to ubu12.04.2 LTS, but
>>> in the changeover I want to setup dovecot as a local only imap server
>>> so that I can read & respond to email from any of the other 4 or so
>>> machines on my local net.
>>>
>>> To that end, and given that I have a well working setup right now,
>>> using fetchmail driving mailfilter as a pre-check, procmail as the
>>> MTA delivering to /var/spool/mail/me, with clamav and spamd in the
>>> mix to intercept and send to /dev/null the worst of the spam, or to a
>>> quarantine file if clamav triggers.
>>>
>>> The current transfer mechanism is driven by a script that uses
>>> inotifywait to detect newly delivered mail in that directory, and
>>> which then sends kmail a dbus message to go get the mail.
>>>
>>> Since I want to insert dovecot into this chain, does dovecot have a
>>> dbus port, and if so, what is the format of the command it expects?
>>
>> Dovecot does not have no dbus support, as far as I know.
>> If you only want to monitor one (or some minor number of mailboxes), you
>> would setup kmail using IMAP, then tag this mailboxes to be monitored.
>> Dovecot then uses that open connection to signal a newly arrived
>> message.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>
> Might be a workable solution, if the 12.4.2 LTS supplied kmail would run.
> Unforch it throws an error no one on the kde-pim or kde mailing lists has
> ever seen, and exits when the failure advisory is closed.  Fat lot of good
> at troubleshooting the problem that is, and one, just one of several
> reasons I want to switch to claws-mail.  Not to mention that in order to
> post to either of those two lists, I have to nuke my whole sig else its
> held forever as potential spam.
>
> So, can this become a request for this dbus support to be added to dovecot?
> Or does it have its own mechanism that would cause a newly arrived message
> to be sieved or pigeonholed such that an imap client see's it asap?  I am
> not fussy how the job gets done, as long as it does.
>
> Alternatively, if dovecot could take over for the fetchmail
> procmail/spamd/clamav chain I've been using for years, then it would know
> when a new message has been 'pop'ed from one of the servers I scan with
> fetchmail now.

there might be a misunderstanding here, Dovecot is an IMAP and POP3
server. It ships tools that replicate messages from other Dovecot servers
and in limits from other IMAP servers.

If you intend to POP other servers, copy their messages to one local host
and view your messages "offline", I would keep fetchmail and Co. Or when
it suits more, maybe imapsync. If you keep that chain any local mailer
should be able to pick up the locally spooled messages. Maybe you could
switch to Maildir as backend, in order to minimizes locking issues. Of
course, you could serve that local mail spool with Dovecot to other IMAP
or POP3 clients.

You also could fetchmail the remote hosts and inject them into a local
Dovecot server via LMTP, you can then try to run clamav and spamd from
Sieve and you have the other Sieve-capabilities as well.

> I printed and scanned the Steve Litt dovecot docs, but wasn't able to glean
> that info from what I have.  And apparently the wiki2 pages have not been
> collated into a pdf for reference as I try to make it work.  I may have
> something fubared there now, as my main mail server, which uses portsentry,
> and I am winding up in that machines hosts.deny file file every time I boot
> to 12.4.2 LTS + kde.  I have that drive mounted in this boot.
>
> And I can't fix it once I'm blocked because my ip is blocked, so I'd have
> to ssh into one of the other machines at the tv station, and then ssh from
> that machine to the mail server.  I don't keep those passwords on the wall,
> or use them that often.
>
> So, where in the boot sequence is dovecot started? I can mv the link in
> /etc/init.d, but since its a link to upstart, is that sufficient?  Try it I
> guess.
>
> Thanks for reading this far.
>
> Cheers, Gene

- --