[Dovecot] dbus support in dovecot?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 25 16:02:10 EEST 2013

On Thursday 25 July 2013 08:38:33 Steffen Kaiser did opine:

> there might be a misunderstanding here, Dovecot is an IMAP and POP3
> server. It ships tools that replicate messages from other Dovecot
> servers and in limits from other IMAP servers.
>
> If you intend to POP other servers, copy their messages to one local
> host and view your messages "offline", I would keep fetchmail and Co.

That is the gist of what I have in mind.

Dovecot can I assume, watch the mailfiles in /var/spool/mail?

My present method of using inotifywait wrapped in a bash script to tell
kmail to go get the new mail via a dbus message has worked well for years.
But with no previous experience with imap, I haven't a clue how new mail
arrival is handled in that sort of a setup.

> Or when it suits more, maybe imapsync. If you keep that chain any local
> mailer should be able to pick up the locally spooled messages. Maybe
> you could switch to Maildir as backend, in order to minimizes locking
> issues. Of course, you could serve that local mail spool with Dovecot
> to other IMAP or POP3 clients.

Already "pigeonhole"d or "sieve"d into the usual folder format?  Once I get
the sorting filter rules re manufactured, that would be great!

> You also could fetchmail the remote hosts and inject them into a local
> Dovecot server via LMTP, you can then try to run clamav and spamd from
> Sieve and you have the other Sieve-capabilities as well.

LTMP is a new acronym to me.  Sorry. Synonymous to an MTA?  Effectively
replacing procmail with dovecot and sieve but still using spamd and clamav?

Are there any better tutorials than Steve Litt's?, which seem to be getting
a tad dated now.

Thank you Steffen.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
fortune: cpu time/usefulness ratio too high -- core dumped.
         law-abiding citizens.