[Dovecot] MS asks for feedback on standards support in Outlook/Exchange

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Sat Jun 1 20:53:12 EEST 2013

Am 01.06.2013 13:40, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> On 1.6.2013, at 9.35, Robert Schetterer <rs at sys4.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 01.06.2013 00:28, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>>> Someone should at least mention that they should support the real SPECIAL-USE instead of just Gmail-specific XLIST..
>>
>> i cant see any major Problems recent with i.e outlook 2013 and dovecot
>> and SPECIAL-USE, perhaps look the screens at
>
> What about http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-May/090489.html ?

---
Outlook 2013 is only working when adding XLIST manually to imap_capability
imap_capability = +XLIST
---

i dont have this on my servers, and outlook 2013 works with special use
as expected

perhaps this helps

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/officeitpro/thread/eacaa110-ca10-463c-81ef-c313b7368ac5

---
You're welcome.

Regarding your questions:

    Exchange 2010 and its supported (and unsupported and deviations
from) IMAP standards are described on MS-STANXIMAP (MSDN). As far as I
can tell, neither XLIST nor the enhanced (=extension of the standard)
version of LIST is supported. Please keep in mind that this wouldn't
matter very much, since most would connect to an Exchange 2010 server
using either ActiveSync or MAPI/RPC. The following scenarios would
definitely work: (A) your provider allows connections using ActiveSync
(often referred to as "mobile" connection/access) and you're using
Outlook 2013, (B) your provider allows connections using MAPI/RPC and
you're using Outlook 2010.
    Outlook 2013 supports the extension specified in RFC 6154 and
implements it using the XLIST command (as per MS-STANOIMAP), as
documented in MS-STANOIMAP part 2.2.38; however, the LIST command in the
same document doesn't mention the extension, so I'd assume it (Outlook
2013) doesn't necessarily support this feature using LIST as specified
per RFC6154 (but only using explicitly XLIST.)

Usually, any newer IMAP server supporting RFC6154 "LIST" ("XLIST")
supports both the older XLIST as well as the newer LIST syntax. If it
doesn't, a patch implementing this feature shouldn't be longer than a
few (10 maybe?) lines of code and a few kind words to the developer team
to get it into the next release of the server in question.

---

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624430%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

-----------
V0061:

The specification describes how to define an experimental command or any
command that is not part of the specification.

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Microsoft Outlook 2010

Outlook does not define any such commands.

Microsoft Outlook 2013

Outlook 2013 implements the IMAP LIST extension specified in [RFC6154]
as the XLIST command.
---------------

so it may  more a typical microsoft doku problem *g

but however ,in fact no working trouble with dovecot SPECIAL-USE

as far i remmeber to that list posting
the problem whas there should get fixed was outlooks meaning of the Junk
folder stuff, which is basicly done in another way by having its own
antispam feature setup, so there are a few way to workaround that
problem which i never tested and never will.

My simple answer always is, Outlook is the client of exchange, with few
stuff supporting normal internet mail ( imap etc ), dont use it with
internet mail or live with its problems

for notice
Horde will implement Outlook 2013 complete active sync stack , so if
that will happen, use active sync modus outlook 2013 with calender,
abook, push mail , should no need for direct imap server con then, and
it should "feel" like using exchnage ( but i think for one account only
), as horde has caldav and carddav  , syncml too it can be used as
middleware between many clients on many different os types i.e
thunderbird lightning and k9 or native androids mail clients in exchange
mode

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--