[Dovecot] An unconstructive grumble

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 18:10:35 EEST 2013

On 3 Jun 2013 16:49, "/dev/rob0" <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 06:23:09AM -0700, dd wrote:
> > 5 hours of configuration attempts, error after confusing error,
> > documentation with examples that only show extracts of working
> > configurations.  I really feel like throwing in the towel with
> > dovecot.
> >
> > It should not be this hard ...
>
> Why not? You're really not in a position to make this claim. But
> having said that...
>
> > and frankly almost impossible to understand and configure for
> > such an incedibly simple configuration.
> >
> > /home/vmail/domain.name/username/cur
> > /home/vmail/domain.name/username/new
> > /home/vmail/domain.name/username/tmp
> >
> > 3 virtual users.  All I want is a username and password to
> > access my email.
>
> ... you complicated things by wanting virtual users. System users
> would have been much simpler to set up. Also, you missed the fact
> that virtual users should have a $HOME directory just like system
> users:

I've never understood this antipathy to virtual users.  But your knowledge
is greater than mine :)

> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

I sort of see why for legacy reasons a $home directory might once have been
needed.  But surely however you word it all you're doing is telling the
server where to put the mails, the structure you want and the format of the
files.  3 variables...

Simon