[Dovecot] Fw: Cannot Authenticate via LDAP

Ron Scott-Adams ron at tohuw.net
Tue Jun 4 21:04:27 EEST 2013

Hi Alex, thanks for your input. As you might have surmised from my doveconf
output, I had things horribly misconfigured. :) Everything is dandy now, I
just had to RTFM and understand userdb/passdb and the ldap settings better.
My new configuration follows:

BEGIN DOVECONF:
# 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-45-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_verbose = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
protocols = " imap pop3"
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.key
ssl_parameters_regenerate = 0
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
verbose_ssl = yes

END DOVECONF
BEGIN DOVECOT-LDAP.CONF.EXT

uris = ldap://localhost:389
dn = uid=dovecot,ou=Services,dc=tohuw,dc=net
dnpass = [redacted]
debug_level = -1
auth_bind = yes
auth_bind_userdn = uid=%u,ou=Users,dc=tohuw,dc=net
base = dc=tohuw,dc=net
user_filter = (uid=%u)
pass_filter = (uid=%u)
iterate_attrs = uid=user
default_pass_scheme = SSHA

END DOVECOT-LDAP.CONF.EXT

The dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf.ext is a symlink, as the documentation
suggests I do.