[Dovecot] quota-status not working in distributed environment

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Thu Jun 13 13:14:04 EEST 2013

Hello List

Quick overview of our set-up:

Postfix / Dovecot (2.2.2.1) / MySQL Cluster on (at the moment) three Servers
to create a HA environment where you could easily add additional servers as
the demand or load grows.

Circular dovecot replication is used so each server uses another one as
replication partner and allowing one server to fail.

Dovecot Proxy Feature being used, so we can use round-robin DNS and each
server can forward the connecting user to the correct 'master' for his
mailbox.

So far, everything works as expected.

Now we want to reject emails to 'full' mailboxes during SMTP to prevent
backscatter and use the quota-status policy service from within postfix.

That works fine, if the mailbox or it's replica is present on the machine
where quota-status is called, but it fails if it's run on a machine where
neither the mailbox or the replica is present.
In our case, we get a correct SMTP 550 'Mailbox Full' Reject in two cases and
a LMTP generated bounce in the later case.

Also `doveadm quota get -u user at example.com`
return the correct quota if run on the two machines which have the mailbox and
it's copy locale, but return 0% used if run on the other machine.

Is there a way to get quota-status to also use the proxy feature to request
the quota information from the correct machine?

Or is the postfix policy daemon call to the quota-status socket documented
somewhere (it must be, but where?) so we could implement it from within the
Milter? (we use the sendmail Milter API from postfix to filter spam and
viruses, do sender/recipient rewriting, forward bounce matching, rate
limmiting, login/IP statistics to block botnets abusing phished addresses and
legal intercept stuff anyway)

Kind regards

Benoit Panizzon
--