[Dovecot] traffic statistics (collectd / rrdtool)

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Thu Jun 27 23:42:12 EEST 2013

On 9/28/2010 3:34 AM, Martin Waschbüsch wrote:
> Am 26.09.2010 um 08:30 schrieb Mohit Chawla:
>
>> How about collectd ( http://collectd.org/ ) ?
>>
> Looks like a good package, but I could not find a dovecot plugin? If
> you know of such an extension, that'd be awesome!
>
> Martin

(Since I'm setting up collectd this week, I'll resurrect this thread.)

My guess is that you could re-use something similar to the one that I
found for postfix tracking.  It uses the 'tail' plugin of collectd and
watches the /var/log/maillog file (on CentOS/RHEL).

https://github.com/creckx/CollectdGraphs/blob/master/collectd_graphs/doc/collectd.postfix.conf

Timo also posted two scripts last year, which I have yet to play with:

> I wrote two scripts, which you can use with the stats plugin enabled to get a better "doveadm stats top" than it currently is:
>
> http://dovecot.org/tools/stats-top.pl
> http://dovecot.org/tools/stats.pl

Mostly I'm looking for a way to track the number of connections in use.