[Dovecot] Upgrading 1.2 to 2.x

Professa Dementia professa at dementianati.com
Wed Mar 6 01:33:57 EET 2013

On 3/5/2013 3:06 PM, Daniel Parthey wrote:

> We're using a single file too, since this can be easily managed by
> a configuration management system and avoids unexpected changes.
>
> Split files might get accidentally updated or added on package
> updates and change the behaviour of your whole mail system.

This is a valid point, however, the same type of argument can be made
for a single file.  Updates, changes or bugs can corrupt your entire
configuration all at once.

With split files, you can set permissions so specific utilities or
scripts can only access certain parts.  There is better granularity that
can be assigned to permissions.

I am basing most of this on my experience of RedHat vs. the SuSE
configuration for Apache.  The split files of SuSE were always easier to
manage and had less problems.  And when there was a problem, I knew
exactly where to go to look, and that file generally fit on one editor
screen so I could see all the applicable directives all at once, instead
of wading through a huge file, scrolling up and down, accidentally
changing the wrong stanza, etc.

Dem