[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Mar 17 21:36:17 EET 2013

On 3/17/2013 11:39 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2013-03-17 10:13 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>> On 3/17/2013 5:25 AM, Professa Dementia wrote:

>>> And just a friendly word of advice: change your attitude or you will
>>> find your cries fall on deaf ears.
>
> Back at ya Stan. Normally you are pretty level-headed, and some of your
> posts regarding details of enterprise hardware are extremely
> informative, personally I think this post is way beneath you.

Follow the threading Charles.  The comment above belongs to Dementia,
not me.

>> The OP's attitude is fine.  It is yours that is the problem.  Dissent
>> and critique should be cherished, not attacked.  We're not a bunch of
>> little Fascists walking in lock step under de Fuhrer Timo, so stop
>> acting like one.
>
> Dissent is ok to a point, as long as it is done politely and without
> unnecessary flaming, and includes some minimal amount of reasonable
> argument.

The only flaming here was done by Dementia.  Note that Daniel stated in
his complaint:  "in my utmost respectful opinion"

> Flame-baiting (ie making false claims that dovecot is 'crappy software
> with lackluster or ), on the other hand, is absolutely *not* ok, and
> imnsho, this is all the OP - and you - were engaging in.

You perceived an attack and picked up sword and shield to defend Dovecot
and Timo.  Unfortunately your adrenaline got the best of you.  Neither
Daniel nor I engaged in flame baiting.  You would do well to drop the
sword and shield and re-read both of our posts dispassionately.

I did not call Dovecot crappy software as you accuse me of here.  If
that were my opinion I certainly would not be using it and I wouldn't be
participating on this mailing list.  Dementia made the case that users
are responsible for fixing anything they don't like about open source
software, suggesting it's ok to publish crappy software and make it the
users' responsibility to fix it.

> When it boils down to a simple question of personal preference (ie the
> 'split config' issue), by all means, provide *constructive* criticism
> (ie, make your argument against making the split config the default) -

We both did.

> but just name-calling and outright false-isms is *not* OK, and I for one
> would appreciate it if you'd re-think your comments.

Neither of us engaged in name calling nor made false claims.  We did
both express frustration.  And yes I did use the word stupid.  And Linus
told nVidia "Fuck you!" on camera.  I'd say "stupid" is very tame,
blunt, and to the point.  Anyone who is so thin skinned as to take
offense to "stupid" isn't tough enough to participate on the interwebs.

> Personally, I think both of you owe Timo an apology.

Personally I would prefer you let the air out of your chest Charles,
drop the sword and the shield, and re-read the email exchange
dispassionately. ;)  I think you know me well enough through our
extensive interaction that I would not make ad hominem attacks or make
baseless accusation against Dovecot or Timo.

I think Timo's skin is sufficiently thick to take a little criticism and
not lose sleep over it.  Apologies are for personal attacks.  I made no
personal attacks.

--
Stan