[Dovecot] Dovecot documentation WAS: Re: Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Mon Mar 18 20:58:26 EET 2013

I was going to just bite my tongue, but couldn't let this go...

On 2013-03-18 11:33 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/2013 3:50 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> It's the best I can do myself. I have no idea how they could be improved in any major way. They say that the software developer himself is the worst possible person to write its documentation, because he can't understand what others find difficult..
> I don't know who "they" is.

I think it was pretty obvious that he meant 'the documentation'... talk
about being a smart ass.

> Wietse writes all the Postfix documentation himself. It comes naturally when one performs formal software development, not ad hoc, because documentation precedes coding.

<snip>

Really nice Stan. You just proved the old axiom of what happens when you
'ass-u-me'.

Writing good docs may come easy to some people (I can't speak for Wietse
as to whether or not this is true for him), but I'd argue that it may
not be as easy as you seem to think.

Too bad the rest of your decent suggestions got clobbered by the
condescending attitude. And I wonder how much time you have spent
helping Timo get the documentation in order...