[Dovecot] Dovecot with sasl/imaps/postfix and thunderbird

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Mar 18 10:35:55 EET 2013

On 18/03/2013 03:10, Alex wrote:
>>> https://www.rapidsslonline.com/
>>> less than $20/year, takes literally 15 minutes from start to having
>>> a certificate.  Well, maybe 30 minutes the first time when you need
>>> to read everything.
>>>
>>> There are probably dozens of other sites offering similar services;
>>> I've used this one several times.
>> Namecheap reseller: $5/year
>>
>>     https://www.cheapssls.com/
> I ended up buying one from rapidsslonline, after I learned they
> require authorization from only the subdomain, not the top-level. I'll
> check out cheapssls.com as well.
>
> I'm not quite sure yet, but it seems these are only supported with the
> most current browsers? If a customer visits with, say, IE8 or IE6, are
> they going to have an issue? (not that they ever should be, or that it
> would probably affect my purchasing choice; I was just curious because
> I'm seeing some old browsers and fielding some support issues now.)

It's not clear if you mean cheapssls.com by the above?

However, I just tried Win XP 32bit with IE8 on one of my certs from
cheapssls and saw no problems...

Cheapssl appears to be a reseller for the cheapo positive positivessl
and rapidssl certs.  There is a couple of $ difference in price between
the two cert types. The other cheap end cert seller is godaddy who also
offer extremely cheap certs, and in particular they are the only
sensibly priced offering that I'm aware of for certs with multiple
domains on them (alternative SAN certs), ie for moderate money they will
give you a cert for domain abcd.com *and* defg.com on the same cert -
this can be useful for mail/web servers which need to answer to multiple
domain names (not just wildcard). Of course there is an amount of
backlash against godaddy, so choose your politics

Oh, I did also manage to get through the bureaucracy of startcom.org and
of course if you are happy with their quirky infrastructure then they
offer very inexpensive certs, especially for the more unusual types such
as wildcards and multiple SAN. I haven't yet taken a cert from them, but
it seems workable now that I got my account created.

Good luck

Ed W