[Dovecot] Postfix/Dovecot/lmtp with virtual and local users

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Mar 29 16:45:16 EET 2013

I'm interested in this as well, and having looked over the wiki2
pages on LDA and LMTP, and the files conf.d/15-lda.conf and
conf.d/20-lmtp.conf to which they refer, I still don't see how the
lmtpd knows a given user at domain is a system user. For virtual
domains, I guess the assumption is that the Dovecot username is
user at domain. (Even that assumption is not necessarily valid; there
is no requirement to format virtual usernames that way.)

The closest I can find is "hostname" in 15-lda.conf, but that does
not really say anything about it being used to identify a system
user.