[Dovecot] Dovecot vs MBox

Thu May 2 15:04:24 EEST 2013

First - I'm subscribed to the list, please don't reply all and send
people two copies of your email.

On 2013-05-01 11:00 AM, Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:
> I don't have to shotgun a million lines of logs and other irrelevant
> data for people here to troll through.

Why would anyone need to troll through a million or more lines of logs?

I said that you needed to provide logs of a problem *transaction* - this
inherently means providing *only* the relevant lines of the actual
problem transaction.

<sarcasm>You don't know how to use grep/egrep?</sarcasm>

> Also, if you don't trust me that the new messages are there from doing
> a tail on the mbox file, then you certainly shouldn't trust me to
> actually fix anything either, logs/proof or no.
>
> So this request of "proof" is a bit over the top.
> <sarcasm> Do I have to get them notarized too? </sarcasm>

Don't be silly, it isn't a personal attack on you, and it isn't about
'trust' in you as an individual, it is about not wasting other people's
valuable time chasing wild geese.

Note: don't go on the postfix list asking for help without providing the
information I suggested, as they will not be nearly as gentle/kind as I
was pointing out the need for it. It is actually a requirement outlined
in the welcome message you get when joining their support list (and in
my opinion it would be very helpful on this list if the welcome message
had a similar requirement):

TO REPORT A PROBLEM see:

Best regards,

Charles