[Dovecot] Dovecot vs MBox

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed May 1 18:00:58 EEST 2013

CM> On 2013-04-30 11:04 AM, Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:
>> I'm still in the "what's wrong" stage of figuring out what's going on.
>>
>> But I've got a mail user who isn't getting new messages.
>>
>> Postfix accepts it and drops it in the users mbox. [This is verified.
>> If I tail the Mbox, I can see the new messages.]

CM> Basic troubleshooting etiquette requires some minimal info from you, like:

CM> doveconf -n output
CM> postconf -n output
CM> and most importantly, logs from a transaction exhibiting the problem.

CM> It is not enough for you to just say what you saw in the logs, or how
CM> your system is configured, you must provide proof/evidence.

Charles - I do understand providing logs and more data generally helps
in diagnosis - but frankly we're not there yet. I'm still trying to
figure out the most productive place to focus my efforts on...that way
I don't have to shotgun a million lines of logs and other irrelevant
data for people here to troll through.

Also, if you don't trust me that the new messages are there from doing
a tail on the mbox file, then you certainly shouldn't trust me to
actually fix anything either, logs/proof or no.

So this request of "proof" is a bit over the top.
<sarcasm> Do I have to get them notarized too? </sarcasm>

---
As for the other suggestions, thanks. This really does appear to be
localized to a single user.

Hopefully today I can get farther into figuring out what's going wrong
in this particular case.

-Greg