[Dovecot] Idea: POP3 deletion as a flag

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Sat May 4 01:06:38 EEST 2013

On 3 May 2013 18:14, "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> GMail doesn't delete mails when POP3 client issues a DELE command for it.
Instead they just become invisible for future POP3 sessions, but they still
exist for IMAP/webmail. The same could be implemented pretty easily for
Dovecot:

>  - Add a new setting to enable this: pop3_deleted_flag = $POP3Deleted
>  - When DELEting a message, add this flag to the message.
>  - When listing messages, skip all messages that have this flag.
>  - Also hide this flag from IMAP clients(?)
>
> Thoughts? Probably 20 lines of new code.

The EU laws not withstanding, I think this is a good thing.  The world
didn't revolve around the EU anymore than it does the US.

If enough people want it, and I can see it's use, even if 90% of my users
won't need it, then put it in.  Warn users to check the regulations of
their jurisdiction before turning it on and off you go..

Simon