[Dovecot] dual stack issue

Forum forum at dct.mine.nu
Sat May 4 10:46:09 EEST 2013

Hello,

Am 03.05.2013 11:34, schrieb Jakob Hirsch:
> forum, 30.04.2013 16:55:
>
>> Now i have found the solution.
>> It seems to help to ask you. ;)
>>
>> The solution was to change from
>> listen = [::]
>> listen = *, [::]
>>
>> There is no explanation for it - just try and error ...
>
> This is not dovecot's fault. See here: http://serverfault.com/a/39561

I never write that something is the fault of dovecot. ;-)
As i complain the configuration is not so easy as before.

But what is the meaning of the addional "*," now?
Listening specially to IPV4 and IPV6?

> In short: In Linux, binding to :: means "bind to both ipv6 and ipv4".
> Setting /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only to 1 changes this behaviour, and
> Debian had this by default in some testing versions of squeeze, as was
> recently discussed on the asterisk-users list:
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2013-March/278296.html

Aha - thank you for this hint.
I have an additional problem with a R8169 ethernet interface loosing IPV4 communication.

But at this time the binding for IPV4 is not deactivated.
root at PC# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only
0

Regards
Karsten